System information
Base: Debian Trixie (stable)
Version number: 1.0
Desktop Environment (DE): Openbox session
Window Manager (WM): Openbox
Processor architecture: 64-bit
Disk usage: ~8 GB
RAM usage: ~320 MB
Kernel: 6.12.111+deb13-amd64
Icon theme: besgnulinux-frame-dark
System theme: besgnulinux-dark
Installer: Calamares
GRUB installation: UEFI and BIOS
It had been a long time since I last tested Openbox. I initially created this version for testing purposes. However, once it turned into such a great system, I thought it would be a good idea to adapt it for general use and share it.
Having another window manager as an alternative to JWM offers users a second choice.
Getting Openbox to its current state certainly required a lot of effort. After all, Openbox doesn't come with built-in components to function as a standalone system on its own; it is built using various tools and custom configurations. Yet, with the right setup, it can become a fantastic system. That is precisely the beauty of window managers: they allow users to customize the experience to their own liking. This version was born out of that very appreciation.
What was done for the Openbox 1.0 release?
After experimenting with various panels, I decided that Tint2 was the best fit for Openbox. However, the default Tint2 panel doesn't appeal to every user, so—as I will explain later—I performed several customizations on it. The biggest challenge with window managers (as I’ve mentioned before) is the file manager. Among the available options, I found Nemo to be the best fit for this Openbox build. Thunar sometimes suffers from memory leaks, occasionally exceeding 1GB of RAM usage. While PCManFM works well, I ultimately chose Nemo; for some reason, Nemo plays very well with Openbox. Nemo handles desktop management, and the desktop is enabled by default. However, transparency must be enabled for the desktop wallpaper to appear; if you prefer not to use transparency, you can disable the desktop feature. This isn't a major drawback, but it is something that can be overlooked given the use of Nemo.
Feh manages the background images for both desktop and non-desktop modes.
I adapted two themes for Openbox: dark and light. These themes are integrated with the system theme; when the system theme color changes, they adjust their colors accordingly.
What was done to the panel?
I’ve dedicated a separate paragraph to the panel because it required the most work. Let’s start with the menus on the panel.
I adapted three different menus for the panel to suit various preferences:
The "Screen menu": A visually appealing menu created using the *xlunch* tool; it opens in full-screen mode and includes an application search feature. I also automated this menu so it updates whenever the system icon theme changes.
The "Application finder menu": A modern-style menu that is customizable and features search capabilities, categories, and the ability to add applications to bookmarks.
The "Openbox menu": A fast, dynamic menu created using the *Obmenu-generator* tool. It supports both icon-based and icon-free modes.
By right-clicking the menu icon, you can easily switch between these menu options via a small window I created.
While the Tint2 panel has built-in functionality for adding applications, I created a separate tool to make the process more practical. With the "Add to panel" tool, you can add or remove applications with a single click.
I created 10 plugins for the panel. You can add or remove these plugins using the "Add plugin" tool I developed.
I implemented a custom tweak for the workspace switcher to ensure faster switching; it allows you to quickly move between workspaces with a single click or by using the mouse wheel. Using the window that appears when you right-click the workspace switcher, you can instantly send any window to a specific workspace.
I implemented a toggle feature for the "minimize all windows" button: clicking it minimizes or restores windows. You can also achieve this using the mouse wheel.
You can add or remove a calendar display from the clock; hovering your mouse over it also reveals the calendar.
I added a feature to position the Tint2 panel on any of the screen's four edges. You can move the panel to the right, left, bottom, or top using the "Panel position" tool.
Plugins I created for the panel:
CPU and memory usage monitors, volume display and control, battery indicator, weather indicator, command runner, network monitor, exit tool, and window minimizer.
Additionally, right-clicking these plugins provides access to various related functions.
The Cbatticon tool has also been included for battery monitoring; you can enable it via the "Activate tools" utility.
Tools I created for Openbox:
Add key, Add panel, Panel plugin, Panel position, and Startup settings.
Furthermore, many tools I originally developed for JWM have been adapted for Openbox.
Some pre-installed software:
Flatpak, Brave browser, LibreOffice, Nemo, Tint2, Mtpaint, Gparted, Synaptic, Mousepad, Mintstick, Touchpad indicator, Lxrandr, Grsync...
I still need a bit more time to work on the JWM version.
You can download this Openbox edition—which started as a test project but grew into something I enjoyed enough to refine for general use—via the link below.
I would appreciate it if you shared your experiences and provided feedback.
Other images
No comments:
Post a Comment